Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Did I kill a startup?

So, I got an invite last night to some new private beta job site called NotchUp that gets company to pay you money to interview with them. Sounds kinda odd, but I figure, money is money, what's the worst that can happen I spend 10 minutes filling out a few profiles boxes and thats it.

Well, thats not the worst that can happen. At least not for them... I signup and start the process. About 45 seconds into filling out stuff I get an error that Drupal isn't installed along with login and host information for their MySQL server. I refresh and it goes away. I go to import my LinkedIn info and it keeps telling me my password is invalid and it can't import my information. After a few tries I give up, deciding its faster to type in my profile info and I really don't want to try to pimp out my friends on this site until I see if I can even make money (plus, it's more competition for that $$$$ for doing interviews!). So I go to type in my profile info, and low and behold, all my LinkedIn info is there. So, I go to start editing it. Next thing I know, the site is suspended by their provider jumpline.com.

So, what happened to them?

Guess #1 is that my stellar profile and shear hire-ability (is that even a word?) caused their entire company to go running for the hills and close up shop because they knew they couldn't compete with the likes of me.
Guess #2 is that they are now the latest in a long and never ending line of startups who can't pay their bills.

Personally, I vote for #1.

No comments: